My name is Karin Muir and I am a registered Clinical Psychologist with nine years experience practising in Christchurch, New Zealand. I provide confidential and evidence-based psychological assessment and treatment for adults 18+ who are struggling with mental health problems or life stressors.


I take a compassionate and collaborative approach to working with each individual and tailor my way of working to your personal needs. I aim to help you develop a clearer understanding of your problem or difficulty and help you develop skills to manage difficult thoughts or feelings that may be preventing you from living your life in the way that you would like. I also aim to help you clarify what is important to you and to support you to commit to actions that move you towards a more vital and meaningful life.


While my initial training was in Cognitive Behavioral Therapy, I have a particular interest in working with acceptance and mindfulness based therapies such as Acceptance and Commitment Therapy and compassion focused approaches as well as Schema Therapy. I have completed additional training in Schema Therapy, Mindful Self Compassion, and Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing therapy (EMDR). I  generally work in an integrative way, drawing on a number of different treatment modalities to suit each individual. What is most important to me is that therapy offers a safe space where each individual can feel understood and supported while  exploring new ways of thinking and being.


I have a broad range of experience having worked in community and inpatient mental health settings, both in New Zealand and in the UK. I also have experience providing brief intervention in an EAP setting and have worked in correctional/forensic services for a number of years. I currently work for ACC three days a week as a psychology advisor and spend the other two days in my private practice.


I am a full member of the New Zealand College of Clinical Psychologists (NZCCP) and am registered with the New Zealand Psychologist's Board under the clinical scope.

Please note I am currently fully booked and unable to accept new referrals for therapy for for ADHD assessments.





  • Mental health problems such as depression and anxiety.

  • Eating and body image concerns

  • Trauma related stress and post-traumatic stress disorder, grief and loss.

  • Life changes, relationships, and work stress/difficulties.

I also provide diagnostic assessments for Adult ADHD and am an ACC registered provider for sensitive claims and physical injury. I am able to provide medico-legal or third party assessments.

 I am able to provide telepsychology sessions (online therapy) by negotiation as this can be helpful to enable access/continuity (such as when clients are away for work or live in a remote area where travel to appointments can be a barrier. As there are also some disadvantages to telepsychology, I will consider new referrals for telepsychology, on a case by case basis, Please contact me if you would like to discuss this option.

If you are unsure about whether I work with a particular problem or difficulty, please get in touch and we can discuss your needs and whether I am able to meet them.

Please note I am not currently accepting new therapy or assessment referrals or wait-listing new clients. Please check back as I update my availability regularly on this site.


Do I need a Building Permit?

- A building permit ensures the safety of any structural or mechanical change. - Getting a building permit protects you under your current home owner's insurance. Note: Permit fees are nominal but they protect you and provide you with additional inspection to make sure things are done right.

Do I need drawings?

- It is always best that you have drawings for any major project. - Drawings contain all the details that are required to obtain a permit. - It is best to get professional guidance as to where to obtain drawings that are needed. Note: In some cases a simple sketch from a home owner is sufficient. Some of these cost may be addition to your renovation budget but are important in order to avoid future disaster.

Can I use my own architect?

- Yes we are happy to work along with our clients and their choice of architect. - We do offer in house drafting and engineering services and in most cases this can provide you with what is required. Includes blueprints and all certifications in order to issue a building permit.



Please contact me via booking form or by my contact details below. It is helpful if you include a brief summary of the problem or issue you are seeking help for.

I am happy to have a phone conversation free of charge prior to booking an appointment to discuss your needs or answer any questions you might have.

Please note I am not currently accepting new therapy or assessment referrals or wait-listing new clients. Please check back as I update my availability regularly on this site.

021 085 50569

Your details were sent successfully!